* I do not think that we’ll be covering Adam Kinzinger the same way going forward because, as I told you yesterday, he really did seem to take himself out of the 2022 statewide race. From his press conference yesterday… I will tell you January 6 changed a lot. My focus went from wanting to
* I do not think that we’ll be covering Adam Kinzinger the same way going forward because, as I told you yesterday, he really did seem to take himself out of the 2022 statewide race. From his press conference yesterday…
I will tell you January 6 changed a lot. My focus went from wanting to fight hard and figure out the best platform in place to do it, to literally see in front of me, to… to use the US military term, what’s the nearest target objective.
And I think it’s saving the saving the country and saving the dialogue of our politics. And importantly, saving what I think is a great party that’s very much lost its way. So I don’t have any plans for anything higher in Illinois. And, as always, I’ll put the caveat that I’m not going to rule anything out, because January 5th and January 7th were two very different days in this world. You never know what can happen. But it’s not my intention to run for anything statewide.
And I’ll tell you, I think there’s probably less of that chatter. But at the beginning, I heard people speculate that I was taking the positions I was taking to set myself up to run statewide. And I’ll tell you, the people that speculate that don’t know me. And I would even argue that they probably don’t know something about politics if you think I can get through a [statewide] primary pretty easily. So none of my decision was based on anything that have to do with my political future was just based 100% on conscience.
Like I said, I’m not doing this to run statewide, I won’t rule it out just because if whatever reason something happens and I do, then, you know, I want to have that integrity. But a lot changed on the 6th.
And then he went on to talk about his new PAC.
* He was also asked about Kendall County Republican Party Chairman James Marter, who said he would challenge Kinzinger in the ‘22 primary…
I guess we don’t even know what the new district looks like. He didn’t live in the district last time, so I guess that doesn’t necessarily preclude him. He’s got a great history of losing races, and I certainly would welcome him to the race. Because if last time was any indication will be a pretty easy [district] primary for me.
* On the current climate within the party…
I feel very, very convinced that in the future, when we look back in the perfect eyes of history, this is going to be seen as that moment where the future of the country is at stake based on what choice we make. And so I’m not going to compel people by fear. There’s times to use fear naturally, right? If there’s something to truly be afraid of. I’m afraid of COVID, I’m afraid of Chinese aggression, for instance, I’m afraid of division in this country, and we can talk about that fear.
But I’m not afraid that the Democrats, if they take power, are going to turn this into a communist country and kill my family. I don’t like their policies and I’ll fight them. But that’s the difference. And so I’m hoping that this works. But there’s no other alternative.
* CBS News Poll taken February 5-8, 2021…
When you think about Democrats, do you tend to think of them as
Asked of those who identify as Republicans:
Political opposition – that is, if they win, you just won’t get the policies you want – 43%
Enemies – that is, if they win, your life or your entire way of life may be threatened – 57%
When you think about Republicans, do you tend to think of them as
Asked of those who identify as Democrats
Political opposition – that is, if they win, you just won’t get the policies you want – 59%
Enemies – that is, if they win, your life or your entire way of life may be threatened – 41%
2,508 US adults, MoE ±2.3 percent.
To be clear, 41 percent of Democrats classifying Republicans as enemies is almost as alarming. But at least they’re not in the majority. And 57-43 is definitely a clear majority.
* Opinion: My fellow Republicans, convicting Trump is necessary to save America
* Republican US Rep. Kinzinger, an outspoken Trump opponent, says he doesn’t intend to seek statewide office in 2022
* Eyeing a run for statewide office? Kinzinger says no.
* Kinzinger calls for Trump’s conviction, throws cold water on statewide run
* Winnebago County Republicans condemn Trump impeachment, not Kinzinger
* Republican Rep. Adam Kinzinger: Impeaching Trump ‘was, frankly, an easy decision’
* Republican congressman says Trump supporters will carry out more violence if he is acquitted by Senate
– Posted by Rich Miller